About Me

Sunday 21 February 2016

The Elevator Pitch


Good morning future post grads!

Today I’d like to talk about something that you are going to experience coming into the Advertising Account Management program at Sheridan College. Have you ever heard of an “elevator pitch”? Well neither did I, until one of our very first career workshops at the beginning of the year.



This concept derives from a story about a job seeker, let’s call her Jessica. As Jessica enters the elevator. Who is standing inside? Let’s call him Joe, the President of a top ad agency in Toronto. Joe is recognized for his extraordinary success in his role and contribution to the agency. Jessica is slightly intimidated but heard about an internship opportunity being available at his agency. She knows she has all the skills, the personality and drive for it. Oh how she wishes she could just sit down and chat with him for even 20 minutes to win him over! Joe is going up to the 28th floor, Jessica the 20th. She only has about 30 seconds or less! Before Jessica knows it she has her hand out ready to shake his hand. “Hi, I’m Jessica! Nice to meet you” …. Jessica went on for about 30 seconds about how she is passionate about advertising, a quick recap of her background and skills, and to top it all off, mentioned some big news she heard about the company receiving an award. “Wow, it was really nice meeting you, I’m impressed by your communication skills. Would you want to meet for coffee this afternoon?” Turns out, Jessica got exactly what she wanted, and a couple weeks later received a job offer.

Do you see the point of this story? You may be thinking, okay what are the chances that I am going to run into some big time account manager at an ad agency who would be willing to listen to me. Well, what we’ve learned these past months at Sheridan College is that you never know WHO you will run into, and how it will effect you in the long run.

An elevator pitch is basically a 30 second “rant”, lets call it, about you. You are selling yourself as an eager individual who deserves a job, or even just wants connections. The point is to make this rant unique to your own personality, skill level and achievements. Not cocky, but not modest either. It is a genuine greeting letting someone know that you’ve got what it takes to fit in with an employer’s company.

So, in our Professional Advertising Sales class this week, what did we have to do? No, we were not shoved in an elevator with a president of an ad agency, but we did have to prepare ourselves if we were ever put into this situation. We were asked to write a 60 (not 30) second blurb about ourselves in response to any media/advertising sales position posted online. In this class, it was termed a “unique value proposition”. We had to spend 60 seconds proving ourselves to the rest of the class as if they were employers, based on our individual positions we chose. So I thought, okay, kind of awkward, but no big deal, I’ve done this before. A week goes by, and it was time for us to present our pitches in front of the class. No notes, not prompts, just our memory. I wasn’t too nervous, as I’ve known the people in my class and have been presenting in front of them for months now. This will be fine. And I know it off by heart!  Well. I get up there, start my first sentence, “Hi, I’m Ashleigh Mulholland. I’m an advertising account management student at Sheridan College. Holding a degree in sociology and psychology, I have the post secondary experience that allowed me to develop key organizational and written skills”-----pause--pause-–pause….staring at everyone looking at me… realizing that I’m not speaking…. What’s my next paragraph.... what am I doing… is this happening.. looking out the window.. now at the teacher.. oh god I’m sweating. I'm Lizze McGuire at graduation.



 “AHHH oh my gosh can I please start over”. It happened. After all of the practicing and even confidence in my speech, I did not realize that standing up in front of my friendly classmates would make me so nervous. Perhaps it was because that for the most part, our presentations throughout the year were in groups, and we had someone there to support us if we forgot something important to say. Well this was just great. Anyways, my teacher Maureen kindly allowed me to start over, but just before I started again, she wanted to point out to the class that what I did while realizing I forgot my pitch, was the right thing. She said that taking a step back from your nerves, slowing down and taking a deep breathe can help you pick up from where you left off. Unfortunately my deep breathing didn’t help at first, but I eventually made it out alive and finished my pitch successfully. It helps to have such a supportive group of classmates that have your back.

What I realized is that before this presentation it would have really helped to present the pitch to someone else, or a small group of people that I knew. There is a huge difference between standing alone and memorizing a speech, and standing in front of actual people, just staring at you absorbing your rant. But, like my teacher said. Take a deep breathe, and try to keep going.  Until you actually are required to present an elevator pitch,  take some time to write down some of the best qualities about yourself. If that’s a little odd or difficult for you, ask one of your great friends or teachers to do it for you! You never know what good things someone else has to say :) And hey, if you ever find yourself in an elevator with a potential employer by your side, but don’t have a pitch prepared, just introduce yourself, be genuine and express your interest. Don’t call it an elevator pitch, just call it a pleasant conversation. First impressions are everything, and I believe that this is the heart of what an elevator pitch, or unique value propositions really mean. Throughout your experience at Sheridan College you are going to realize your strengths, weaknesses and quirks. But you will begin to realize that this is what makes you unique, and your classmates as well as teachers are with you every step of the way. And when you do, you'll have the confidence to nail your first elevator pitch.


Have a great week everyone. 

Sincerely, 

Ashleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment